Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Sting #6-Anderson Silva: UFC/MMA Warrior

I have recently had the opportunity to look at several videos of Brazilian martial artist Anderson Silva on YOUTUBE.COM, and let me tell you, he is the most impressive ring warrior I have seen today...yeah, even tougher than Buakaw Por Pramuk who rules the K1-Max roost at the moment. Silva is a very dangerous fighter who doesn't sport the steroid muscles or useless bulk of most of todays MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) competitors, yet he has the grappling skills, Muay Thai skills, western boxing skills, and streetfighting experience needed to win any and all of the ring fighting titles available in international competition. I don't know how he would fare in the Bangkok stadium circuit, but in the UFC/MMA world he is perhaps the best of the best. I can honestly say that I learned quite a few things from watching his matches that are displayed on YOUTUBE.COM: Check out the links below to see him in action.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROr4d4oc0B0"




For those who really enjoy MMA/UFC competition, Anderson Silva is really something to see in action. For those of you who prefer primarily Muay Thai, you might not like him better than Buakow, but you will gain instant respect for the incredible combination of skills that he displays so efficiently and effectively in all-out combat competitions. I just hope that he is not broken up from injuries over the next few years so badly that he has to retire from the ring (or suffer serious injury that curtails his career).

If Anderson Silva were to make a video series giving an overview of his training and fight methodologies, I would purchase it in a flash.

.....................................................................................

For those of you who are waiting for me to continue my rant about american and western kickboxing as a sorry activity in comparison with Muay Thai (or even the MMA/UFC/Vale Tudo competitons which I personally have little interest in watching on a regular basis), I am not going to continue to beat that dead horse. Anyone who thinks that western / american kickboxing competitions have been their cup of tea over the past three decades of their pupularity has got exactly what they deserve in terms of fighting (???) competition. Same goes for those who can sit through traditional martial arts (karate or kung fu) competitions and feel satisfied. I have different interests and tastes...I would rather watch a good boxing match on Telemundo than attend a karate or kung fu tournament. Different strokes for different folks. And, when I come across real fighting STARS like Anderson Silva and Buakaw, I can really appreciate them for what they do and how they do it.

H.April
10/17/06

No comments: